Sunday, September 03, 2006

Old Habits Die Hard

Bar None. Home to yappie runaways and the best live band I've had the pleasure of enjoying in years -- Jive Talkin'. Just last night, I had the company of two intoxicating ladies, two charming drinks and a throng of people who danced like they really needed it. Plenty of action, plenty of fun, plenty of dance; all impromptu, of course. What started out as a cuppa coffee at about 11pm quickly progressed (in unison) to a "now I feel like dancing" confession. Best snap decision yet, from 3 young people with some time on our hands.

I could have sworn that I looked positively juvenille next to these two fine products of the corperate world -- cut in black, sharp as the night. Still, once the electric beats plundered the dance floor after the band's first set, my feet were alive. Two drinks and two frustrating days later, the devil had a new place to play.

I was told that women like men who could dance. And then I was told that I was gorgeous. Where'd I learn to move like that? Nowhere, really. Because it's the sensual people around me that guide my feet.

Amusing flattery. The rapture of this nocturnal escape is undeniable. I'm addicted to moving, and the company just makes the deal sweeter. Flirting in the dark, dreaming under the strobe light, it's easy to see why and how we could just surrender ourselves to our next desire. I was the dreamer once again, dancing along a river of spirits and pleasure.

No matter how close I get, it's never close enough. No matter how much my hands roam, I still wish they were exploring you instead. No matter how large the crowd, I'm still on my island of ecstasy. When I feel hot, I begin to wish that I could just tear into the dank air unihibited, and be drenched in your rapture. My tormented hands still crave for the creative destruction that we shared. No matter how my feet flash and flutter under my body, I was still unsatisfied.

Perfection comes only in temporary flashes. It's here, now and it's gone. Everybody wants it, but no one is prepared to be it. Nobody really wants to dance with someone who can dance -- there's just not enough room. They're just moving between hugs, flirty dirty dances and clumsy complements. And by the end of the night, maybe you'll find your release -- whether it is in the bosom of a stranger who buys you drinks, the pulsing hips of another who passes you just in time, or in a new friend who could be your next meal.

Still, I always wish that it was you there. No one else would do. But you were in another's arms, for now.

===============================

I'm sure the dance would feel completely different on the vineyard.

What am I looking for? For hope and a sign that true love does exist, no matter how disguised it appears, and how tough life is.

Life has been an abusive bitch to you. I wish that you never had to pay for these debts, or that we could help you out in more ways than we already are now.



JKLM

No comments: