Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Twenti-FIRST Century

It's only 2006, and I've been through more events in these 6 years that have shaped my life than in the last century. I was just clearing out my organiser from 2005 and it started the memories rolling back. Time: like stream water chattering down its pebble stairs, you can be sure that its nature will never change, but with each moment, the past will remain nothing more than a memory.

At the turn of the century, I graduated from JC. I was a little disappointed at the fact that nothing much amounted from our being the "millenium batch". It was just a fantasy, nothing more; the guys were still going to be enlisted and the girls were still going to work and move on to University. I enlisted in the SAF in April, and joined thousands of other young boys on their journeys to become men. I could have sworn that for the sake of education, the elders won't hesitate to call you a boy anytime before they put you through some disastrous experience, and then call you a man after that.

I played my way into OCS and eventually 1 SIR, where I began learning how to act like a leader and what it actually meant to be a leader respectively. I got my first taste of life, and my own foolishness within this two and a half-years. I met a dear friend in this period and made a buddy out of him. I made a new friend and made a mentor out of him, who in turn made a student out of me. I let go of a relationship and tried to start another one, only to have it start all wrong again.

Following my stint in the Army, I enrolled into another institution -- NUS. It was here where the bulk of my education took place. My earlier years of formal academics seemed almost ridiculous and meaningless compared to the lessons that I was to learn within the campus walls. From 2002 to 2003, my mentor showed my his way, and tried to show me mine. I tried to learn what I could, tried to grow as much as I could. It was also within these years in which I first rekindled old friendships, darkened my soul and brightened my laughter.

It was also within these years that my mentor reminded me of my role in NUS: to get an education. Right he was. For it was in 2004, that I finally learnt one of the most important lessons in my life -- to stand on my own and stand firm for what I believed in. Sadly, balance marks all that is central to life, and in order to gain, I had to loose. In NUS, I got the education I enrolled for -- both in and out of the classroom. I learnt, against my previous academic advise, that my inclinations and my obligations were misalilgned, and that I was anything but exam smart. Nevertheless, I am certain that I managed to learn the important lessons.

The twenti-first century marked many firsts for me. My first close contact with my brother -- spending time with him at work and off work, on holiday and sharing. My first long and hard look into my family and myself through a most personal encounter. My first public performance in a live show, presenting a story and a song. The first time I finally understood what it meant to let something go. The first time I joined and competed in rock climbing competitions. My first rock trip to Thailand, and I do hope it will certainly not be the last. The first times I cooked for people I cared about. The first times I finally got round to meeting up with old friends and mend my ways to renew their bonds. My first Boulderactive and committee. And the first time I was ever so sure...

Into 2006 some stroll, some run while others hesitate. I'll take my chances and stride into the new year, with you. So much has happened in the years past. While I may think of myself as a sort of late-bloomer at times, I'm certainly still glad that I bloom at all. There is still much to do and to be achieved. I've got a headstart on this year, and I intend to keep it to my advantage.

Warmest Regards,

JKLM

No comments: