Saturday, December 17, 2005

Little Bangkok

We have a new squattter -- Scruffy, a gypsy with an appetite for affection as large as her appetite for food. It didn't take us long to befriend her and break her in once she accepted our invitation to lunch. Since then, we had been gathering twice a day -- once for lunch and once for supper. But she is dirty; she wanders about all day and haunts our corridors regularly with her disarming call. We had considered suggesting some form of bathing or personal hygene for Scruffy, but we were sure that she wasn't going to accept. Well, if she obliged, then she'd be allowed to curl up on the bed with the other furrballs. But then we'd never be able to make sure she stays clean beyond the day we physically see to it.

I guess we could have extended the hospitality to Grumpy as well, but Scrufy doesn't like him. She openly displays her disapproval whenever he enters the room. I guess his characteristic rake-on-gravel greeting doesn't do much for improving his reputation either. We had our eyebrows raised when we noticed Grumpy trailing her down the corridors on some days. Despite a lack of better suitors, Scruffy has insisted on placing her dignity before his advances. Beyond, mere evolutionary incompatibility, we suspected that Grumpy was probably one of those guys with some kind of social inaptness, like bad breath, body odour or just a plain unappealing voice. The poor girl.

We're nevertheless thankful for this new addition to "the illegals" family in our neighbourhood. A new muse to help smooth the rough edges and bridge the short fuses. There's already plenty of that we have had to handle over the last few weeks -- the last thing we'd need would be to have little Grumffies and Scrumpies running around.

---------------------------------

I met Scruffy earlier this morning for breakfast. Well, it was more of an invitatino from Scruffy -- she came calling at the door at about 6.45 am. I almost ran into her when I was heading out to collect the laundry; somehow that little gypsy just knows when I'm awake.

Food had always been a rather quick and purposeful affair for Scruffy and me. I'd lay out the dishes and she'd tuck in, a grateful nod to sign her thanks. This morning was no exception, though I noticed a look of sleep still wrapped around her face. There's just something very personal about being able to yawn together with someone. Ha... Scruffy.

It's a real pity we couldn't share breakfast with Her. She didn't wake with me and nag me out of my lazy sleep. I didn't have the subtle pleasures of coaxing her awake soundless, with a very personal alarm clock. It was just Scruffy and I this morning, and I was packing. She was packed; packed and ready to fly.

On my way down to the airport, I scavanged for a space on the morning train; swooping down to the first target, still warm from the kill. Tucking my burdens under me and heaving my sleepy limbs against the seat supports, I breathed a half-sigh and drifted to the electronic lullaby of the train mechanics.

A holiday, finally, for us. She's going to Bangkok and I'm headed for KL, our parting separated by two nights. Given the pace of our vacation programs thus far, I'd say that it's about time we had this well-deserved break. For days now I had been contemplating my impending fate without her. The days would pass easy. It is the nights that will prove tricky. I know for certain that I am no longer the same naive sentimental fool I used to be, but I certainly have come to appreciate the little things between us more than before.

The impression she leaves on and with me are always subtle. It's the little things, she once said to me. I wonder if she considered the nights "little things" too. Certainly the darkness holds much for us, but now that Bangkok sparkles with her scent I tingle with a wariness of the familiarity of darkfall. I'm sure the days will drug me sufficiently for sleep to come easily, but it would be purposeful.

Well, I think that it would be snowing by the time I return. In my heart at least, but I'm sure she'll notice the subtle look in my eye. For now, I hope she has a safe trip to Bangkok. There are now two beats in that heart she carries -- hers and ours. Please, be safe and have fun.


JKLM

No comments: