Sunday, February 19, 2006

Concept of Two Creations

The Concept of Two Creations, as I understand it, states that most phenomenon have two points of creation -- the mental (or metaphysical) and the physical. With respect to our thoughts, actions, resultant consequences and personalities, this concept probably tries to explain that these things don't just 'happen'. At at least two distince points, we have all had some influence and choice over their development.

A very useful insight, but also a very solemn revelation.

Believing in this concept means believing in the existence of choice and self-awareness, and of course, placing yourself in a position where you are responsible for just about everything that is you. That's basically suggesting that I was (and still am) responsible as well as irresponsible. That's a really tough pill to swallow sometimes.

So many times before, I had taken the easier way out, rationalising to myself that it wasn't my fault. It was always easier to put the blame on environmental factors, on things and people I had no direct control over. Anger seemed justifiable and practical, because it was frequently used as a means in my environment. Even now, as I am older and have my opened my eyes a little more, anger seems convenient and can at times even be desirable. It seems as if a man with peace and without external emotion is a rather strange and undesirable human being.

This might seem like a rather extreme view. I beg to differ; recall the last time you were upset about something, and simply ask yourself this -- what were you upset about? Recall the other times when you were upset about something else -- what were you upset about? Now think about this: how many times, amongst those answers, did you use the words "I", "somebody was unreasonable/stupid/silly", "it wasn't my fault", "why didn't...", "if only...", "I wish..." etc...

I have come to believe that if we were truely as proactive and as good as we hoped/wanted to be, surely each problematic situation encountered is no more than an anormally in the function of things. What instigates our vivd reactions is frequently not the problem itself, but rather the flood of thougths that accompany it. Taking each problem on its own, we will easily see that they are nothing more than a sequence of events set against a preferred sequence. There's not much point piling problems together, because it's not only easy to confuse them with things that are normal, they frequently seem to suggest that we are far less capable than what we are!

And so, I've followed some good advice on a yellowed paperback to take a moment to stop and think ever so often. I've learnt not to ignore the voices in my head, not to suppress my stubborn will, but to accept them instead and to question their purpose and origin. Because they have these qualities, they would sooner be understood and broken down and away. It a little like how you don't chase after the snake that has bitten you, you find a way to remove the poison instead.


JKLM

No comments: