Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Memory

I heard your name today
They asked how you were doing
But I could hardly even hear them
Over the sound of my heart thumping

All at once the memories
They came rushing back
How we used to laugh, used to run
Our hand in hand

I quickly searched my face
For a good excuse to answer
Said that you were doing great
But inside I knew I was a liar

How could you be great
After where we have been
Tearing down dark alleys
Lost and lonely now we stand

And so I turned to go
Like how you say I do
Hiding the pain in my eyes
So they won't know the truth

I know that I don't have
Much more to hold on
I would tell them all about
How we went wrong

As I step outside
Into the cold damp air
My hands still shaking
While my eyes just stared

I feel you
With every breath I take
The living rock in my heart
Our memories, oh they ache

All we wanted
Was for this to work
But what we got
Was love and hurt

And the memories
And the memories

No comments: